VEC Testing Session on Saturday, May 8 from 1 to 3:30 PM.
Getting or Upgrading Your Ham Radio License and About the VEC Test Sessions in the Forsyth Amateur Radio Club (FARC)
The Forsyth Amateur Radio Club is a part of W4VEC, a regional volunteer
organization offering exam sessions for anyone wishing to get the
Technician entry level license or wanting to upgrade their existing license.
Exam sessions are held starting at 6:30pm prior to each months meeting normally on the second Monday of each month. However, NO exam sessions are held in the month of December. Exam sessions are held in the entry level of the Red Cross building at 690 Coliseum Drive in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Pre-registration is required via e-mail ONLY, (NO text messages, Please), at least 48 hours prior to the exam, listing the elements you wish to test for, your phone number and email address. Elements to be tested for are entry level-Technician, upgrade to General or upgrade to Extra.
You may pre-register or get additional information via: wb9szl (at) triad (dot) rr (dot) com with attention "Exam Pre-Registration" on the subject line to Dale Mierisch WB9SZL.
Sometimes special exam sessions are available at our two hamfests in January or June. Check the Hamfest Info page of this website to see if an special exam session is available. Again, pre-registration is required for special exam sessions using the contact info in the above paragraph or as specified in the hamfest link.
Exam sessions are conducted by FARC volunteers (VEC's) working under the direction and guidelines of the FCC. A $12.00 exam fee is required,cash only, to take the test. Exact change is preferred. The exam session administrator may send you reminder information on the exam fee, session date and time and other information after your pre-registration.
For candidates wishing to get their Technician license, you must bring some items to the exam session:
1. A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport)
2. If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification may be used:
- non-photo ID/driver's license (some states still have them)
- birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
- social security card
- library card
- utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person
- or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.
4. Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC issued Federal Registration Number (FRN); VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit either your SSN or your FRN number with your license application form. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session, then you may register your SSN with the FCC before exam day. Once you have a FCC issued FRN, you may no longer use your SSN on the application. For instructions on how to register your SSN with the FCC and receive a FRN, visit the FCC's FAQ page and the FCC's registration instructions page.
5. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
6. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones' calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used.
For those who already have a current and valid FCC issued Amateur Radio License and wishing to UPGRADE their license, you must bring: (Note: This does not apply to Technician Exam candidates)
1. Your original license for viewing
2. Two copies of your Signed license (FCC 660 – May 2007 Form), one of which Must be attached to their FCC Form 605.
3. The Original CSCE and One Copy of their CSCE if they have one.
Our biggest challenge continues to be encouraging upgrade candidates to bring a copy of their license to exam sessions.
Effective July 1, 2016, upgrade candidates forgetting copies of their license, will be dismissed and invited to bring their license copy to next month’s exam session.
A copy of your Signed license (FCC 660 – May 2007 Form), must accompany the application to the FCC. Any missing copies unfortunately delays the entire license process for all exam candidates. Bring your original Signed license (FCC 660 – May 2007 Form), if you have one, two forms of ID, $12.00 and successful completion forms (CSCE’s - if any).