Getting or Upgrading Your Ham Radio License and About the VEC Test Sessions in the Forsyth Amateur Radio Club (FARC)
The Forsyth Amateur Radio Club (FARC) is a part of W4VEC, a regional volunteer organization offering exam sessions for anyone wishing to get the Technician entry level license or wanting to upgrade their existing license.
Exam sessions are held starting at 6:30pm prior to each month’s meeting normally on the second Monday of each month. However, NO exam sessions are held in the month of December. Exam sessions are held in the entry level of the Red Cross building at 690 Coliseum Drive in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Pre-registration is required at least 48 hours prior to the exam. Use the form at the bottom of the page to pre-register.
You can request additional information via the form on the Contact page. Select the “Testing” in the department drop down.
Exam sessions are conducted by FARC Volunteer Examiner’s (VE’s) working under the direction and guidelines of the FCC. A $12.00 exam fee is required, cash only please, to take the test. Exact change is preferred. The exam session administrator may send you reminder information on the exam fee, session date and time and other information after your pre-registration.
For candidates wishing to get their Technician license, you must bring some items to the exam session:
1. A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport)
2. If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification may be used:
- non-photo ID/driver’s license (some states still have them)
- birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
- social security card
- library card
- utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person
- or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.
3. Students/minors may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor’s work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
4. Your FCC issued Federal Registration Number (FRN) is now required as part of the pre-registration process. VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit your FRN number with your license application form. You can contact the FCC to obtain your FRN, prior to exam day. Once you have a FCC issued FRN, you can register for the exam. For instructions on how to receive a FRN, visit the FCC’s FAQ page and the FCC’s registration instructions page.
5. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
6. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones’ calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used.
For those who already have a current and valid FCC issued Amateur Radio License and wishing to UPGRADE their license, you must bring:
(Note: This does not apply to Technician Exam candidates)
1. Your original (signed) license for viewing
2. Two copies of your Signed license (FCC 660 – May 2007 Form), one of which Must be attached to their FCC Form 605.
3. The Original Certificates of Completion (CSCE) and One Copy of their CSCE if they have one.
Effective July 1, 2016, upgrade candidates forgetting copies of their license, will be dismissed and invited to bring their license copy to next month’s exam session.
A copy of your Signed license (FCC 660 – May 2007 Form), must accompany the application to the FCC. Any missing copies unfortunately delays the entire license process for all exam candidates. Bring your original Signed license (FCC 660 – May 2007 Form), if you have one, two forms of ID, $12.00 and successful completion forms (CSCE’s – if any).